Go to main navigation
1332 SW 89th St., Oklahoma City, OK 73159
Free Consultation on all
Criminal and Injury Cases
405-698-3307 405-698-3307


Dedicated Oklahoma City Divorce Attorney Manages Child Support Disputes

Hardworking advocate for custodial and noncustodial parents in Oklahoma

Child support law in Oklahoma rests on the supposition that children are entitled to support from both parents. Custodial parents are assumed to be paying directly for their children’s upbringing by providing food and shelter. For noncustodial parents, the court uses state guidelines based on both parents’ incomes, the number of children and the costs of care to arrive at a sum to be paid to the custodial parents. Each parent must also contribute to the children’s medical, dental and childcare expenses. The court has discretion to deviate from the guidelines if the result is unjust, to consider other factors, or to accept a negotiated support agreement from the parents that serves the best interests of the children. As your child support advocate, Amanda R. Everett, P.C. fights for fair support orders that serve your needs and the needs of your children.

Modifying your Oklahoma child support order

A child support order stays in effect until a child reaches the age of 18 or a subsequent court order overrides the existing order. Although Oklahoma does not require parents to pay college expenses, there may be special circumstances that justify extending child support beyond the age of 18, and the custodial parent can petition the court for an extension. However, the most common type of petition to modify a support order is a request from the paying parent to reduce child support due to financial hardship.

After your divorce, a court can modify your child support order if there has been a substantial change in circumstances. That adjustment can be up or down, depending on the situation:

  • The obligor parent is unemployed and unable to pay
  • The recipient parent is unable to work
  • The child develops special needs that require greater support

Generally, if the custodial parent remarries and is supported by the new spouse, the obligor parent is not relieved of child support obligations. However, if the new spouse wants to adopt the child and the obligor parent is willing to step aside, the duty to pay child support ends when the court terminates parental rights to allow the adoption to go forward.

Enforcing a child support order in Oklahoma

Parents have a legal obligation to pay child support. Oklahoma courts can take various enforcement measures to ensure payment, such as:

  • Garnishing your pay
  • Intercepting your tax refunds
  • Placing liens on your property
  • Suspending licenses and permits
  • Suspending your vehicle registration
  • Citation for contempt and jail time

Oklahoma officials can also use the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act to enforce child support orders across state lines.

Obligor parents sometimes feel justified in withholding child support if the custodial parent interferes with visitation rights. This is a losing strategy that only gets you in trouble with the court. Keep paying your support obligations, but see a family law attorney for trustworthy guidance on how to resolve your visitation dispute legally.

Let an experienced Oklahoma City divorce attorney manage your child support dispute

Amanda R. Everett, P.C. provides aggressive advocacy for parents engaged in disputes over child support. To schedule a free consultation, call 405-698-3307 or contact her online. The firm proudly serves families in Oklahoma, Canadian, Cleveland, McClain, and Pottawatomie counties; in Norman, Moore, and Oklahoma City; and throughout the state of Oklahoma.